Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy

ARC, 3391 pages
Release Date: May 9, 2017
Published by: Balzer + Bray
Read from: June 1- 4, 2017
Stand-alone
Source: TxLA 
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction, Coming of Age, LGBTQ- Bisexual, Own Voices, YA


     Ramona was only five years old when Hurricane Katrina changed her life forever.
     Since then, it’s been Ramona and her family against the world. Standing over six feet tall with unmistakable blue hair, Ramona is sure of three things: she likes girls, she’s fiercely devoted to her family, and she knows she’s destined for something bigger than the trailer she calls home in Eulogy, Mississippi. But juggling multiple jobs, her flaky mom, and her well-meaning but ineffectual dad forces her to be the adult of the family. Now, with her sister, Hattie, pregnant, responsibility weighs more heavily than ever.
      The return of her childhood friend Freddie brings a welcome distraction. Ramona’s friendship with the former competitive swimmer picks up exactly where it left off, and soon he’s talked her into joining him for laps at the pool. But as Ramona falls in love with swimming, her feelings for Freddie begin to shift too, which is the last thing she expected. With her growing affection for Freddie making her question her sexual identity, Ramona begins to wonder if perhaps she likes girls and guys or if this new attraction is just a fluke. Either way, Ramona will discover that, for her, life and love are more fluid than they seem.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I wasn't sure what to say about this one besides the fact that I loved it. I wanted to say something so much more profound, but this is one of those cases where I don't feel my words would be adequate.
"I'll never figure out how it is that some people can work so hard and get paid so little, while so many people who are pad the most hardly work at all."
pg. 161
     Ramona thought she had her life all figured out:help out at home, help her pregnant sister, and spend time with her friends from work. But then one day she sees an old friend has come back to Euology, Mississippi and shows her all she thought she knew is more different than she thought.
"Everything was alot to deal with, though, when you had gottn used to nothing. I needed increments: a few somehings, maybe an anything first."
pg. 176
     I've read all Murphy's books, but this one is my favorite by far. It felt so real, like I was watching this real life situation play out in front of my own eyes. It never really felt like it had a plot, but that was the magic of it. There was a real-life like feel to it. Showing Ramona live day to day, which is how life really is. (I feel like I'm rambling but I told y'all I couldn't do this justice.)
"It seems to me that childhood ends and adult life begins the moment you stop believing your parents can rescue you."
pg. 178
     I also really loved the characters. I was a bit annoyed with Ramona because she wanted to put everyone before herself most o the time, but I realized that I'm that way too. I will ask other people if they need something first before taking care of me and then realizing that no one has asked me if I'm ok or I need anything. I could totally see where she was coming from.
"It makes me uncomfortable, but I'm starting to think that maybe the gist off life is learning how to be uncomfortable with being uncomfortable."
pg. 207
     I also really love the way Julie Murphy handled Ramona and her questioning orientation. It was refreshing to read something on it and I was glad she handled it in such a manner. I could have used this book as a teen when I was questioning my own orientation. I can't wait to see what this book does for teens later on.
"Life isn't written in the stars. Fate is ours to pen. I choose [...]. I choose [...].I chose people. But most of all: I choose."
pg. 271
     This book is one that I can see myself reading and recommending over and over. I flew through this book and immediately wanted to recrack it open. I can't wait to see what else Murphy has in store for us. 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,